Saturday, September 10, 2005

Journal: 9/10/05

Lately I’ve been enjoying some lovely, relaxing bike rides in the neighborhoods near my house. I don’t push myself quite as long or as hard as I do when I’m riding on busy roads in traffic, but there’s a serenity on these quiet streets that is very appealing. I feel like I’m getting fairly good exercise, plus I’m enjoying the peacefulness of beautiful September afternoons. I pant and perspire, but I also look and listen and smile. Yesterday, I started out around 5:15 and rode for about thirty minutes, across Granite Street and up and down the almost deserted streets between my house and the hospital. I pushed my self fairly hard as I pedaled up the long, gradual hills, but not so hard that I wasn’t able to observe things around me. I noticed much more than I do when I’m riding furiously along busy roads – the look of the different homes, the shapes of trees, the blueness of the sky above. In a way, it reminded me of the way I often spent September afternoons when I was a boy. I would often come home, throw my books down, grab a snack, and head out on my bike to do some exploring. Back then I just cruised around for the fun of it, which is what I’ve been doing this week. There was lots to be seen in Webster Groves back in the 50’s, and there’s just as much to enjoy in beautiful Westerly in September, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment