Thursday, September 29, 2005

Journal: 9/28/05

This morning, as I was rather unsuccessfully stumbling into the new day, I received a valuable gift at the drive-through window of a coffee shop. Wearing a sleepy and sullen face, I pulled up to the speaker and gave my order. Surprisingly, the voice that spoke to me was cheerful and vibrant. As though she was doing exactly what she loved best, she pleasantly repeated my order back to me and asked me to "drive on up". At the window, this cheery woman smiled and handed me a roll and a cup of coffee that was steaming like a small bubbling pot of energy. She looked like a thoroughly benevolent and happy person, and just seeing her smile lightened my load of gloominess somewhat. She returned my change with eagerness and precision, and I started on my way again, wondering why this woman who toiled at a humble, low-paying job in a tiny coffee shop seemed to find life so wonderful. As I drove to school, I thought a lot about what had just happened. I had given this woman several dollars, but she had given me something much more precious. Just by seeming to thoroughly love her work and her life, she had reminded me that life, which can sometimes seem somber and ill fated, is basically an ongoing marvel. In effect, she had held up a sign that said, "Be grateful for this amazing life." I may drop off a thank-you note to the coffee shop tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment