Thursday, September 15, 2005

Meditation: ANOTHER POINT OF VIEW


“It’s important to look at things from God’s point of view.” -- 1 Corinthians 4:6

There’s a ton of wisdom in this short sentence, and if I paid attention to it, I could have totally serene days, one after another. After all, the only thing that causes turmoil in my life is simply my point of view – how I’m looking at things. If I’m viewing everything from a “personal” point of view, as though I’m a single, separate person locked in an endless struggle with a trillion other separate entities, then my days will indeed be an endless struggle. I will go from obstacle to obstacle, battle to battle -- hour after hour after hour. However, if I pull way back – say all the way out to a distant star – and try to see things as the Universe (or God) sees them, then something very different happens. Then I suddenly relax, because I see that life in all its grandeur and complexity is proceeding ahead without the help of my little, personal, separate self. I see that I don’t ever need to struggle, because the vast universe is unfolding and dancing along precisely the way it must. What I guess this means is that I need to be more of a silent, accepting observer than an involved, controlling participant. I need to do more sitting back and watching and appreciating. The universe I’m part of is an astonishing, miraculous, mind-boggling place, and I should take a front row seat. If a “problem” comes up, it could be one of the best acts in the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment