Saturday, November 5, 2005

Journal: 11/05/05

This was another in a string of mild, summery days in mid-autumn. I awoke to a spring-like breeze coming through the window, and by 8:00 am, as I worked at school, I had my door wide open to catch the balmy breezes. We held our annual fall sports tournament today, and many people were ambling along the sidelines in shorts and sandals. In fact, the thought occurred to me that it would be a great day to head to the beach – in November! In the early evening, I walked around the park a few times, and it was one of the most tranquil and lovely walks I’ve ever taken. The trees were at their peak of autumn radiance -- including two small trees that seemed on fire with color – and the air had the soft feel of springtime. I was almost alone as I strolled along, just me and an occasional drifting leaf and a sky spread with sunset colors. Before I left, I sat for a while on one of the benches and thought a few heartening thoughts. Indeed, it’s easy to pull lovely thoughts out of the air on an evening like that, when peacefulness seems to reign all around. I paid special attention to a golden tree in the distance, whose limbs were softly shaking, just about as softly as my thoughts were coming. I didn’t want to leave.

No comments:

Post a Comment