Wednesday, November 9, 2005

Journal: 11/09/05

Yesterday my gratitude felt almost overwhelming. Everything that happened to me seemed like a stunning gift. My 8th grade students, as usual, were polite, cordial, and eager. They smiled at me whenever I looked at them, and their participation in class was sincere and energetic. They even complimented me several times, in their shy, youthful way – and many of them said “thank you” as they left class. In the 9th grade classes, it was more of the same, although in different ways. Several of the girls had written extremely strong poems, which I read aloud to a rapt audience. Then we laughed for a few moments as we reminisced about some of the fun we have had over the last year and a half. (We did finally get going on the lesson I had planned!) One final thing: When I was in the grocery store, I met the mother of a girl I had taught five years ago. It was a grand reunion, with hugs and smiles and laughter. For a few good moments, standing beside the grapes and melons, we talked about the great days when her daughter was in my class. I drove home from the store through the soft evening air feeling as grateful as I’ve ever felt in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment