Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Journal: 11/16/05

Matt, my youngest son, is climbing steadily toward his Masters in teaching, and will, perhaps by next September, be settled into his own elementary classroom. I am amazed at the kind of effort he’s putting into his graduate studies. He sits at the computer night and day, thinking through complex assignments and slowly producing thoughtful papers. He seems to be driven by a desire to learn as much as he possibly can about this work he has chosen. As his father, I am proud of him, but as a fellow teacher and a colleague, I am thrilled to welcome him into the ranks of this noble profession of teaching. I can’t imagine a greater blessing for a parent than to have your son or daughter follow your footsteps in a career. I envision countless discussions with Matty – discussions about everything from how to teach the use of commas, to what is the nature of the student-teacher relationship, to what is the very meaning of life. I am a lucky person – amazingly so. I am given the gift of 42 wonderful students and a beautiful classroom each day, and now I am being given the gift of another son beside me in the ranks. (His brother Jaimie is already a marvelous 8th grade English teacher.) We’ll share the struggles and the triumphs of this splendid work of teaching – this work that bewilders and thrills me each and every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment