Monday, November 28, 2005

Journal: 11/28/05

I have discovered a wonderful way to exercise during these chilly months. For the last few weeks, I have been climbing the steps in the park for about thirty minutes, and it’s actually been fun. Yes, it’s work, too, because my legs feel the strain of going up and down those steps over and over, and at the end, my heart seems almost out of control and my lungs can barely bring in air. But it’s a happy kind of work, unlike the disheartening and cheerless work I have often done at the gym. For one thing, I don’t rush as I climb and descend the steps. I take my time, allowing my legs and the steps to gradually get their work done. I don’t push, race, struggle, or strain; I just keep going. This allows the workout to be more of a pleasure than a problem, more satisfying than tedious. I also love the surroundings. Wilcox Park is one of the loveliest small parks I have ever seen, and it’s especially so at this time of year. There seems to be a silvery shine on everything – the stripped trees, the frozen pond, the stiff and frosty grass. As I reach the top of the steps and pause briefly for a view of the park, I sometimes fantasize that it’s all mine. The park is owned by a prince, and the prince is out for his daily exercise on the royal stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment