Saturday, February 11, 2006

Journal: 02/11/06

I took the 9th grade class up to Providence last night to see a performance of Hamlet at the Trinity Repertory Theater, and I think we all had a grand time. We first ate dinner at the Trinity Brewhouse, all of us sitting convivially together at two tables in the basement. The food, it appeared, was acceptable to everyone, and the conversation was brisk and merry. As I looked around at all the happy faces, students and adults alike, I once again felt grateful for all my bountiful blessings. After dinner, we walked a few blocks to the theater, where we quickly found our excellent seats, just to the right of center and close by the stage. From the various comments I heard, the students were pleased by our closeness to the stage, and by the charming set (a well-to-do living room from the 1930’s). We settled in for a special evening of entertainment, and we were not disappointed. The acting was always good and occasionally excellent, and the forceful emotions of Shakespeare’s lines came across with clarity and beauty. I felt – and I think others in our group did also – the agony of this young prince who got lost in his hopes and sorrows. The play was written over 400 years ago, and yet many of us sensed the present-day relevance of the words. In different ways, it was an inspiring and satisfying evening for all of us, one I hope we can replicate at least one more time before this splendid class graduates in June.

No comments:

Post a Comment