Monday, February 13, 2006

Journal: 02/13/06

I guess we experienced what will be known as the “Blizzard of ‘06” yesterday. The storm blew in on Saturday night and howled across southern New England all day Sunday. The snow was heavy (about 20 inches) and the winds were strong, so it wasn’t a day to be taking a leisurely winter walk. My son Matt and I just “hunkered down” in the toasty apartment and watched the snow swirl past the window. And what a treat that is, to be forced to enjoy the comforts of a warm home in winter! We read, played music, talked, drank tea, and watched the winter Olympics on TV. It was a day of peacefulness and satisfaction for both of us. It was also a day of quiet contemplation for me. I often thought about all the people right here in Westerly who don’t have a comfortable home to enjoy on a stormy day, who don’t have friends to share warmth and good will with, who perhaps are cold and lonely on this beautiful winter day. When I looked out at the white landscape with the snow sailing among the houses and trees, I often thought of people for whom this storm is nothing but one more disaster in their lives. It put things into perspective. It made me think deeply as I sipped another cup of hot tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment