Tuesday, February 7, 2006

Journal:02/07/06

On Sunday, Luke and I visited Jaimie, Jess, and Noah for breakfast, and we all had a pleasant time together. I’ll never forget the bountiful greeting I received from little Noah. As I was walking up the path to the door, he suddenly sprang out with a smile and said, “Hello, Hammy. Please come in. Be careful. Sowwy. [Sorry]”, and then dutifully ushered me into the house. This from a lad who’s not even 2 ½ years old! I was astonished by his intelligent, almost sophisticated manner – like a small boy with an adult’s refinement. This generous, heart-warming behavior continued throughout the visit. Noah seemed always more concerned about our happiness and comfort than his own. I noticed him watching very carefully as Luke talked, as if he wanted to make him feel welcomed and appreciated. When I told Noah I was going to be leaving soon, his face turned extra sympathetic, as though he felt bad that I had to drive such a long distance to get home. We adults had a congenial visit (we hope to do this Sunday morning thing on a regular basis), but as usual (and appropriately) our happiness seemed to flow out of the warm center created by Noah. On that raw, rainy morning, he was the wee, steady furnace of goodness that kept us cozy and comfortable. Jaimie had his small wood stove purring reliably in the kitchen, but Noah was all the warmth any of us really needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment