Friday, February 3, 2006

On Teaching: "Being Available"

Over the years, I’ve heard many adjectives used to describe an excellent teacher (“energetic”, “committed”, “knowledgeable”, “organized”, etc.), but I don’t recall hearing “available”. I can’t remember anyone saying that a good teacher must simply be, as one definition suggests, “present and ready for use”, or “willing to be of service or assistance”. We’re all encouraged to be active and helpful in the classroom, but no one has ever told me that a great teacher is also one who knows how to stand aside and just be ready. We all want to jump in and guide, direct, organize, and instruct, but what about stepping back and merely being available? It reminds me of something I read recently – that all of us must learn the importance of “stepping back”. The author suggested that most of us are always eager to step forward and help (by taking charge, controlling, organizing, etc.), but we sometimes forget the importance of moving off to the side and just observing, waiting, and allowing. Often we see beautiful things happen when we quietly step back and simply notice. Certainly this could help me as a teacher. I am usually far too ready too shoulder my way into the students, shoving them along toward what I hope will be some kind of learning experience. What I need to work on is allowing instead of forcing. I need to remember to step back now and then and let the universe’s natural propensity to educate do its quiet, efficient work.

No comments:

Post a Comment