Monday, May 15, 2006

Journal: Monday, May 15, 2006

Yesterday I defied the endless rains we are experiencing by taking a dry and pleasant walk in the park. Around noon, I wrapped myself in my best raingear and prepared for the wet journey. Several years ago, I purchased some rather expensive “foul weather gear” for a hiking trip, and it was good to get it out again and make use of it. By the time I left my house, I was covered with a lightweight pants and waterproof jacket (with hood), and was wearing my old impermeable Goretex boots. I was out for only about 30 minutes, but it was enough to get a feel for walking in a steady spring rain. I went slowly along through the dampness, trudging up and down the cement stairs and along the muddy pathways. Perhaps feeling softened and relaxed by the gentle rain, I did some unusually productive thinking as I made my way around the park. What I thought a lot about was how nice it was to be out enjoying this lovely storm. Strange, how I’ve grown up to believe that certain weather is “gloomy” or “dreary”. (It’s a little like believing a wrinkled $100 bill is not worth as much as a brand new one.) Looked at with fresh eyes, this soggy day was full of gray wonders as I walked along. I came back home rejoicing that I was lucky enough to be blessed with such beautiful showery days.

No comments:

Post a Comment