Sunday, May 14, 2006

Journal: Sunday, May 14, 2006

The rain still keeps coming. It’s been days and weeks now since we’ve seen the sun. Grayness and dampness is everywhere. We just expect it now; we awaken and anticipate a day of clouds and storms, and we fall asleep knowing we’ll hear the incessant sound of raindrops slapping against the windows. Despite the dreary weather, people, I guess, are going about their business – except for the oil change place up the street. I stopped in yesterday, thinking I would have a long wait, but the stalls were empty. Six guys in oily overalls were standing around with gloomy expressions, waiting for a customer. It didn’t take long; I sat in the waiting room watching cars splash by on the rainy street, and before ten minutes had passed, I was on my way again. Later in the afternoon, the rain seemed to almost stop, so I decided to have a go at walking in the park (my usual exercise). It was misting just slightly when I started, but soon the rain gathered force again, and before long I was walking through sheets of it. I managed to keep going for about 20 minutes, and then surrendered and headed home to dry myself out. What I really need to get myself dry is a few long days of comforting sunshine.

No comments:

Post a Comment