Monday, May 8, 2006

Meditation: "Getting Strong"

Perhaps more than anything else, everyone wants to be strong, and this morning, in my pre-dawn meditation, I have been realizing that it’s actually quite easy to become not only strong, but invincibly strong. It is true that strength is something all people seek after. It may be physical strength, emotional strength, or financial strength, but it basically comes down to the same thing – a feeling that we are stronger than any force that might oppose us. We want to feel confident, knowing that whatever obstacles may stand in our way can be easily overcome by our own overwhelming power. What I’m realizing, as I sit at my desk listening to the first morning birds whistling outside the window, is that becoming truly strong – indomitably strong – is actually rather easy. I don’t have to lift weights or go to a therapist or win the lottery to gain this kind of strength; all I have to do is turn my beliefs about life around 180 degrees. I simply have to see and understand the truth that life is not material, but entirely spiritual – a single, vast, harmonious universe of which I am a part. If I can make that simple change in my beliefs, I will instantly become what I’ve always been – a part of a power that’s everywhere and limitless and unconquerable. I will feel something wonderful surging through me – not just a physical or emotional or financial power (which are all limited and subject to change), but the unlimited and eternal power of the entire universe. In a true sense, I will feel the same power that is found in the most distant stars, in small golden daffodils, and in tumultuous storms in the mountains. It is the power of life and reality (some people call it God, or Allah, or other names), and it’s in me, and all of us, all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment