Monday, April 16, 2007

Today my goal as a teacher is to look more carefully for the harmony in my classroom. I deliberately didn’t say “create” harmony, because harmony’s already there, always. By the very fact that my students and I part of the infinite, harmonious universe, we must always demonstrate that harmony, in the classroom and out. We have no choice. Just as sunshine must harmonize with shadows, and winds with other winds, my students and I are always in accord with one another, though I’m sure we rarely realize it. Indeed, that’s the strangest fact I know of – that unity and agreement is all around us, but we almost never notice it. Our lives are created out of, and saturated with, harmony. Everything in the universe, from the tiniest atom to the largest star, moves in strict accordance with everything else, and yet we are nearly always blind to this beautiful harmony. We’re like people surrounded by blissful, spring-like weather, but who think a wild winter storm is raging around them. Today, I don’t want to be one of those people. I want to keep my eyes open for the friendly concord that always exists in my classroom. Everything that happens will be part of a seamless, unified plan created by the universe. Each spoken word will blend with every other spoken word, and each action will flow into all the other actions. It will be beautiful, and I just hope I’m not too blind to see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment