Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Yesterday I drove north through the wintry countryside for an afternoon and evening with my sons and their families. Matt and Stacey rode with me to Jaimie and Jessy’s (they drove Jaimie’s old car back home, his gift to them), and we spent a few hours of pleasant idleness with young Noah and younger Ava Elizabeth. Noah and Matt sat on the floor and gleefully moved toy animals and people around, while Stacey and I entertained and were entertained by the beautiful and charming Ava. Later, I drove another 45 minutes north to visit with Luke. We had a fine father-and-son dinner in a local restaurant, honestly talking over some important family issues. We were straightforward but gentle with each other, the way good friends should be, and we accomplished much in our short time together. My drive home down the dark, starlit highway was like a pleasing holiday excursion, with many cheerily lit-up trees and houses along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment