Tuesday, November 26, 2013

THANKS

When I discovered this morning that the history of the word “thank” connects it, in a circuitous way, to the word “think”, it made sense to me, since simply thinking carefully about my life always makes me feel thankful. Only a totally unthinking person would fail to praise the beautiful things that brighten all of my days. Just the fact that I am somehow here, right now, on this startling planet, and living this always surprising life, is grounds for the sincerest gratitude. Who gave me this gift of a vast and silver sky above me, and a warm car cruising at 70, and ten fingers to type on a laptop words that sometimes win my heart when I read them? How did it happen that the “big bang” so many billions of years ago eventually presented the universe, in November of 1941, with a baby boy named Hamilton, who has now seen so many miracles it makes his 72-year-old head spin? Just thinking about my marvelous life makes me want to wave and dance, but since I’m riding in a car beside a beautiful driver (Delycia) I’ll just say a quiet “Thanks to one and all!”, and throw her an appreciative kiss as we sail down the interstate.

No comments:

Post a Comment