Thursday, December 19, 2013

ALL SORTS OF ALLELUIAS


Thursday, December 19, 2013
"White Christmas", oil,
by Delilah Smith

Along with the alleluias that will be sung in churches these next few days, I’ll be singing a special sort of alleluia now and then. I don’t go to church, but I often choose to silently say praises to the “Lord” I have come to believe in – not the distant and bewildering god I knew as a boy, but the infinite Spirit of goodness and concord that controls this universe I live in. I see reasons for alleluias all around me, every day, every moment. The stoplights that flashed this morning so the traffic flowed safely along, the checkout woman at Target who smiled at us so sincerely, the furnace in our cellar that’s now singing and sending up heat for us – all of these are reasons for rejoicing. My god is simple goodness – the goodness I saw today in the girl who said “excuse me” as she passed my in a store aisle, and the goodness I felt when a clerk kindly smiled and showed us the way to the Christmas section. It wasn’t a star-sprinkled or saintly or pious kind of goodness, just the simple and sincere goodness that’s cared for the human race forever. I said several silent alleluias as we shopped today – quiet praises for the generosity of the healthy and bountiful forces that flow through all things at all times, not just at Christmas.      

No comments:

Post a Comment