Monday, December 30, 2013

SLIVERS AND SPECKS


"Crescent Moon", oil,
by Elizabeth Fraser
      I saw a sliver of a moon above the house early this morning, just a shaving of silver light in a dark sunrise sky, and it started me thinking about other slivers, other shreds of things I’ve come across. So much of my life, in fact, seems made up of these kinds of small, flake-like things, mere scraps of experience, that often pass unnoticed. Someone passing me on the street, for instance, or a piece of a wind wandering past the house, or a fragment of a few words heard in the supermarket – these are slivers like this morning’s small moon above the house, just slight little experiences that sometimes disappear unseen and unappreciated. Even happiness, I guess, is like this – presented to me mostly in splinters and shards that can sail right past me if I’m not alert. I was lucky to look up this morning to see the silver flake of the moon, and hopefully I’ll be lucky, too, to see the little chips of happiness strewn around me today.    

No comments:

Post a Comment