Monday, December 9, 2013

SOARING IN CONNECTICUT

"Seagull", oil on masonite,
by Heidi Malott
Yesterday I did some “soaring” of a surprising kind.
When seagulls soar along the shore, they maintain height without flapping their wings – in other words, without working extra hard – and I soared in somewhat the same way at “Make We Joy”, the winter solstice celebration at Connecticut College’s Harkness Chapel. I was sitting beside Delycia, but I felt like I was flying for most of the hour, just floating along on the cheerful spirits arising from the singing and dancing. Like a seagull, I soared without exerting myself, gliding with no effort on an easygoing breeze of gladness.
Then, in the evening, we saw Handel’s Messiah performed at St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Norwich, a building that soars in its own special way. Situated in a small, unexceptional city in New England, this church ascends in a spacious manner, the walls and pillars surging up to the impressive dome, and I did some surging myself as I listened to the performance. In my mind, in a lazy and loose way, I effortlessly rose and spiraled and coasted along on the music.
The seagulls I’ve seen couldn’t have done it any better.       

No comments:

Post a Comment