Tuesday, December 17, 2013

SOFTLY FALLING THOUGHTS

"Times Square Snowstorm", oil,
by Kay Crain
  Watching the snowflakes slowly falling this morning made me think of the countless thoughts that come drifting down on all of us in their soft but insistent way. We truly live in the midst of a steady snowfall of thoughts, all as soft as the snow descending among the trees outside our house. True, some of my thoughts – those filled with stress or uneasiness – don’t seem especially soft, but perhaps that’s because I feel like I’m being besieged by the snowfall of thoughts, standing in the center of them, instead of simply observing them from a safe distance. When unsettling thoughts seem to be filling my mind, perhaps I can learn to take a step back and dispassionately survey them as they flutter inside me, simply taking notice of the thoughts instead of being “snowed under” by them. Maybe then, those distressing thoughts may seem as harmless as the snowflakes floating past our windows. Snowflakes soon dissolve and disappear, and so, more easily than we realize, do thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment