Saturday, January 4, 2014

72 GOING ON 16

I know I’m not really 16, not really a kid with a kid’s muscles and lungs, but I felt like it today as I shoveled snow from our driveway. The seven inches of snow was almost downy, so it sort of sailed off my shovel, making the work much easier than I had anticipated. I felt youthful and frolicsome as I swung the shovel back and forth, sending great sprays of snow into sizeable hills beside the driveway. I remembered all the cautions about senior citizens straining too much with a snow shovel, so I paused often, rested on my shovel, and savored the classic snowy scene around the neighborhood. When I finally finished completely clearing the driveway, I stood silently for a moment, and suddenly I was 16 again, back in Webster Groves, surveying a smoothly shoveled driveway before driving out to pick up my date.
Luckily, I’m actually 72 and had a gorgeous girlfriend waiting inside with a cup of hot tea.   

No comments:

Post a Comment