Thursday, February 20, 2014

A TEACHER LEARNS A LESSON

Today, because I recently misspoke at two important meetings, I’m recalling some lessons I tried to teach my students. I don’t regret what I said at the meetings, only the way I said it. I spoke with passion, as I should have, but I also spoke with harshness, which I should not have. My words were honest, which they should have been, but they were also ill-mannered, which words should never be. Back when I was teaching my teenage students, I prided myself on always speaking with dignity and decorum, especially when sharing my displeasure. At both of these recent meetings, I sincerely shared my displeasure, but I spoke with neither dignity nor decorum. I’m glad none of my former students were there to witness it. As I mentioned, I would not change the content of what I said at both meetings. I just wish I had spoken in a more courteous manner. The people whom I spoke against are honorable people who served the community with commitment and loyalty, and they deserved to be treated with more civility than I showed them. I used to tell my students they would always make mistakes, but that they must try to always make new mistakes. In the coming months, at future meetings, I hope I can follow my own advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment