Saturday, February 8, 2014

ALWAYS AMAZED


 
"Watery Maze", oil,
by Lori McNamara
     I sometimes feel like I’m in a befuddling maze, which is why, perhaps, I often feel “a-mazed” by everything around me. Like many of us, I enjoy pretending that my life is laid out in well-marked roads, and that I know exactly where I’m going and how to get there, but the truth is that I’ve been in an almost daily maze since November of 1941. Honestly, I still have little or no idea who I am or why things happen or where I should be going, and it is in this sense that I feel almost constantly amazed, as though I’ve been endlessly strolling in a maze for 72 years. Perhaps, though, I should say “labyrinth” instead of maze, for in a labyrinth there is no worry of being lost, since all paths in due course lead to the center and back out. A labyrinth is a light-hearted place to be, since all choices are somehow the right ones, and seeming mistakes end up showing you the way. I guess life, for me, has been like a puzzling but relaxing labyrinth. It’s like a maze made for my pleasure and instruction, a place where patience can turn mistakes into miracles.   

No comments:

Post a Comment