Saturday, April 5, 2014

A BANQUET FOR FEAR

"Bistro Business" oil,
by Robin Cheers

 Like most of us, I have been fighting fear off and on for most of my life, but now, in my 70s, I see that what I should have been doing is saying a good-natured hello to fear and perhaps even setting out a banquet for it. Fear seems to find satisfaction in our resistance to it, for then it gets to spread and grow stronger. The more we fight to push fear out, the more powerful it sometimes becomes. So, I’m tossing in the towel, so to speak. I’m sending up the ceasefire flag so fear can see I’m not afraid of it. In fact, I’ve started sending invitations to fear: “Please come in. I’ll set out a banquet for you. Let’s relax and learn about each other. Linger as long as you want.” 
     Fear, I’m finding, often deflates fairly soon in the face of simple hospitality.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment