Thursday, January 1, 2015

TAKING MYSELF LIGHTLY

     I recall hearing someone say that angels can fly because they take themselves lightly, and it always sounds to me like excellent advice. I’m not interested in flying, but I would like to shed some of the seriousness which occasionally weighs me down. I sometimes walk around like I have loads of responsibilities on my shoulders – like I’m some special superman who has serious tasks to perform, tasks that simply must be done by me alone. On those days, I take myself way too seriously. Unlike angels, I’m weighed down by a dreamed-up sense of my own importance. On those days, flying is out; self-absorption and slogging is in.
    On other days, lucky for me, I get loose from this seriousness and see myself for what I am – just a twist and twirl in the everlasting dance of a generous universe. My silly self-importance disappears like a small star in the vastness of dawn. I feel light on those days – light and free and ready to relax with life instead of wrestle with it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment