Friday, February 6, 2015

THE GOOD NEW DAYS

 
"Snow", oil on panel,
by Rene Pleinair
            I’ve often heard people speak of “the good old days”, as though something wonderful was almost always happening back then, but this morning, when I noticed the sunlight spread so smoothly across the snow, I started thinking about this good new day, and all the good new days that lie ahead.  There’s so much that I miss in each new moment,  and sometimes it’s because I’m lost somewhere back in the old days, dreaming of the supposed simplicity of life back when things were – or at least seemed –  simpler and more straightforward.   What’s strange about this is that there is nothing simpler or more straightforward than the winter sunshine that gave a glossy look to the crusted snow-cover this morning. Nor could there have been anything lovelier in the old days than the flames in our fireplace just now,  shaking and swaying and sending warmth our way on this frosty but sunlit day. Like all days, this is a good new day. I’m trying lately to let the good old days lie where they are, far off in my memories, and prepare myself to respect and treasure the good new miracles made right before my eyes, moment by moment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment