Thursday, February 19, 2015

WHAT I NEED

  

    I sometimes slip into my old practice of listing things I need – another shirt, some better boots, more stamina when working out – but the truth is that something bigger than me makes a much better list. Call it God, or the Universe, or Life, or just Inspiration – there’s a power, I sense, that sees what I need and somehow supplies it. When I occasionally get my busybody self out of the way, and just listen to what this wiser power is saying to me, the things I really need (not just want) seem to unmistakably shine in my thoughts. This morning, for instance, when I was doing some of this silent listening, it became obvious that I didn’t actually need another shirt, but instead, perhaps I needed just that moment of silence during which I was seeing clearly the birds breakfasting at the feeder. When I set aside my persistent and restless ego, and simply listen to this soft but measureless voice from somewhere, I sometimes understand that all I really need is the new blood my good heart is constantly giving me and the thoroughly new thoughts my mind is always making. I sometimes see that this particular moment – any moment – is all I really ever need.

2 comments:

  1. "...all I really need is the new blood my good heart is constantly giving me and the thoroughly new thoughts ..." I concur, but will add love to the short list. And if it starts to get longer, I hope it will include prudence, justice, temperance, etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to say, "to my list,' and then add a smiley face (but not sure he to make one)

    ReplyDelete