Friday, April 10, 2015

THE FURIOUS SERENITY OF SPARROWS


"Rise and Shine"
watercolor
by Linda McCoy
     It’s fun to see so many sparrows swirling around our feeders these days, and doing it with a kind of furious serenity. They seem zestfully unruffled as they flutter and quiver and peck out some seeds and soar off again. There’s a sort of peaceful fury in their motions, a tumultuous calmness that always amazes me as I watch. They move their heads in jerky ways, but even this twitchy way of turning seems to be done in an unflustered manner, sort of the way leaves can shake in a storm with grace and smoothness. What I love most is the way a group of them can suddenly soar off to nearby bushes in what seems like a perfect flight pattern. They fly off quickly but beautifully, flashing away in what always looks like elegant orderliness. In my sometimes busy and bustling days, I’d love to see the shipshape neatness I see in the frantic dancing around the feeders. It wouldn’t be bad to live with the disciplined liveliness of sparrows.  


No comments:

Post a Comment