Sunday, August 30, 2015

OPEN WINDOWS, OPEN LIFE


  Today I drove on I-95 with the car windows down, something I rarely do, and it was fun, for a change, to feel the outside world roaring in to me as I drove. It was shrill and sometimes almost harsh on my ears, but it was also sort of refreshing, in a funny way. It started me wondering whether I could leave the “windows” of my life open more often, just welcoming in whatever happens to come along. Could I tolerate – and even say a pleasant hello to – all the “noise” that life sends to each of us? With my “windows” – my heart, I guess – wide open, could I learn to let in the bad with the good, and perhaps even find some wisdom and benefit in the bad? Like some of us, I drive – and live – in a fairly closed-up way, but this morning’s free-feeling, open-window trip on the highway showed me the possibilities of living a more unfastened, unenclosed sort of life. It might make for a fun ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment