Saturday, August 6, 2005

CASUAL THOUGHTS


“Ownership”`
I’ve been thinking recently about all the “property” I “own”. I put the words in quotation marks because, while I don’t legally own the properties, in another very special sense I do own them. Presumably the greatest reward of ownership is the ability to enjoy what you own, and I enjoy these properties as much as any legal owner could. I use them, benefit from them, appreciate them, and take care of them, and thus I get as much pleasure from them as I would if I were the rightful owner. The properties I’m speaking of are the lovely public park near my house, the Wood and Pawcatuck Rivers, and the many beaches along the Rhode Island shoreline. I don’t have a legal deed to these properties, but when I visit them, I feel and behave exactly like an owner would. The trees and lawns in the park, the dreamily flowing river and its adjoining woods and fields, and the sands of the beaches stretching for miles – all are “mine” when I pay them a visit. When I was younger, I often dreamed of legally owning a large piece of beautiful property, and now, miracle of miracles, I actually own three! What’s especially wonderful about this is that I don’t have the usual worries that accompany legal ownership. For instance, I don’t have the enormous burden of paying taxes on them or maintaining them. My only task is to enjoy them. Today I have already strolled through “my” park, and this afternoon I intend to enjoy the sea breezes on one of “my” beaches. Lucky me!

No comments:

Post a Comment