Saturday, August 6, 2005

Daily Journal

Saturday, August 6, 2005

Today I took a brief, pleasurable kayak trip on which I made good use of my new anchor. It’s just a small (3 lb.) grappling hook, but it worked beautifully in the middle of a leisurely section of the Pawcatuck River. On this breezy afternoon, I tossed the anchor overboard about 3:30 pm, watched the rope go taut and hold the kayak steady, and proceeded to spend a half hour lounging on the gentle river and reading a book on Hamlet.

I went to a dinner party tonight with some good friends. As the daylight faded, we sat on the deck sipping drinks, enjoying tasty snacks, and sharing news. The main course was delicious, made even more so because we enjoyed it outside in the summer darkness, surrounded by candles, torches, and a small, cheerful fire in the outdoor fireplace.

News flash: I have signed up for Netflix, the online DVD rental agency. I’ve decided I need to get my nose out of books now and then and occasionally watch a good film. My first movies – A Man for All Seasons and The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (in honor of the upcoming new school year) – should be arriving in the mail tomorrow. I must pick up some popcorn at the store today!

No comments:

Post a Comment