Friday, August 12, 2005

Journal: 8/12/05


Friday, August 12, 2005

I’ve been enjoying my new Netflix subscription. I just finished watching the 1966 Academy Award winner “A Man for All Seasons”, and it was a wonderful experience for me. I watched it on my laptop with earphones, usually lounging contentedly in my large, comfortable chair in the living room. Every so often, I replayed a scene, just to catch some words or better appreciate the fine distinctions. This morning I dropped the DVD in its return envelope into the mailbox, and should receive my next film in about three days. (My next one, in tribute to the upcoming school year, will be a famous teacher-film, “The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie”. I’ve also ordered the Sean Connery film about a teacher, “Finding Forrester.” “Goodbye, Mr. Chips” might be next.)

I took a relaxing ride in the kayak this afternoon, around 5:00 when the cooling breezes had started to spring up. It was a totally refreshing time on the river for me. I drifted with the idle current, past two white swans and their brown youngster, (see photo, above) and then tossed out the anchor in the middle of the shady channel. The breeze was delightful as it swept down the river. I settled myself comfortably and read an excellent chapter from Dickens’ “Little Dorrit”. As I paddled back up to my landing place, I passed within fifteen feet of the swans as they lingered by the shore.

No comments:

Post a Comment