Friday, August 19, 2005

Journal: 8/19/05

I started my annual summer trip back to my roots in St. Louis yesterday. My flight from Hartford was as comfortable as flights can be -- smooth, trouble-free, and relaxing. I was in the far end of the plane with a gang of small children, but their enthusiasm and sense of joy kept me refreshed for the three hours of the flight. I read, wrote a little, thought some helpful thoughts, and enjoyed the stunning views out my window. Al, Mary Anne, and Mom picked me up promptly at the airport, and we had a pleasant afternoon together. We sat in the cool house on Hampshire Court for an hour or so, and then Mom and I drove back to her apartment. As we always do, we had a pleasant time chatting, looking at photos, and then watching the evening news as we sipped glasses of wine. We went to dinner at Weber's Grill, where we had more good conversation, despite the fact that several children were running amuck around us and the food was less than tasty. I dropped Mom off at her apartment and then went back to Al and Mary Anne's, where I slept long and deeply in the cozy basement suite until 7:00 am.

No comments:

Post a Comment