Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Journal: 8/30/05

Last night I had my first college class of the year, and I can’t believe how exciting it was for me. Actually, I had been feeling great anticipation for the entire week leading up to the class. I thoroughly enjoyed preparing my syllabus, and I often pictured myself standing before the class and teaching with energy and affection. As I told the class, I had a restless sleep the night before, simply because I was so thrilled about the new school year starting. Indeed, there seemed to be a thrill in the room last night – well, at least on my part. I felt myself bouncing around in front of the class for the entire two hours – waving my arms, smiling, laughing, learning their names, and just entirely enjoying myself. I realized, for the zillionth time, that this is what I was born to do. I also realized, once again, how utterly lucky I am. I am privileged to be working with the minds of 23 fine people for the next 8 weeks. I have been entrusted with these minds, and it’s my duty and honor to try to show them the secrets of good writing. Last night, I felt, as I often do, rather like a knight setting off on a grand quest, with my students following closely behind. And today I rejoice that this bountiful and satisfying time of year has once again come round.

No comments:

Post a Comment