Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Journal: 8/31/05

Yesterday – finally! – the rains came. It seems like it’s been months since our last rain, and the landscape shows it. The lawns are as brown as though they have been baked, the trees seem weary and unresponsive, and all the flowers have seemingly disappeared. I’m not sure I’ve seen a worse drought in this area since we moved here 28 years ago. But yesterday – ah, moisture, wetness, puddles, running rivers in the gutters, rain hammering on our roofs. It was a wonder to see. At school I spent some time simply staring out at the enormous trees as they stood in the gray rain. I imagined them speaking to each other in their great relief and happiness.

I did some more work at school as I prepare myself for the first day of classes next Tuesday. I intend to make this year my very best as a teacher. I’m aiming for nothing less than day-by-day perfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment