Tuesday, September 6, 2005

TS I’m afraid that many of my students come to school thinking of themselves as “mentally poor”, and I would like to work on changing that this year. SD They know that their families have enough material money to enjoy a fairly good life, but I’m pretty certain that my students don’t think they have much “mental money”. CM They feel poor when it comes to thinking. CM Even the students who regularly get good grades probably believe they have to work extremely hard if they want to discover a trickle of decent ideas in the desert of their own minds. SD I hope I can change their outlook – and it is just an outlook, a way of seeing things that has been programmed into them. CM They have been taught, in explicit and subtle ways, that good ideas are scarce, and that only the most persistent laborers are able to dig them up. CM I want to work hard to help them see another possibility – that wonderful ideas are literally as abundant as the air around them. CM I want them to understand that the universe stands ready to pour in ideas teeming with power and beauty, and indeed is always showering us with these ideas. SD We don’t see them in the same way that people who keep the shades down in their houses don’t see the bountiful sunshine. CM This year I want to show my students how to raise the shades of their beliefs and see the innumerable ideas that stand ready to change their lives. CM I want to show them how immeasurably wealthy they really are. TS?

No comments:

Post a Comment