Tuesday, November 15, 2005

On Teaching: DOING JUSTICE

This week’s theme in my classes is “justice”, and this morning I’m thinking about how the word applies to my teaching. I’m wondering if I do “do justice”, in the sense of treating everything involved with my work adequately, fairly, and with full appreciation. I wonder, for instance, if I do justice to my students. Do I do treat them “adequately” – in other words, with careful attention and honest concern? Do I treat them “fairly”, giving each student the same amount of consideration, and the kind of consideration each one deserves? Most importantly, do I treat my students “with full appreciation”, constantly focusing on their wonderful strengths and talents? (We talk of “appreciating” a work of art, which is precisely the sense in which I should appreciate my students – as astonishing and unique creations.) However, I am also wondering whether I do justice to my curriculum. At the end of a day, I often find that I have rushed through a lesson or skimmed across some part of my plans, which is certainly not “doing justice” to my subject. Being just means doing things “the right way”, and skipping through lesson plans is not the right way. I need to remind myself, every day, that the subject I teach – English – is one of great value and beauty, and justice should be done to it. Like my students, every aspect of my curriculum should be treated adequately, fairly, and with full appreciation.

No comments:

Post a Comment