Saturday, February 18, 2006

Journal: Saturday, February 18, 2006

I was thankful to begin my long “winter weekend” holiday yesterday. How nice it is to have four days in the middle of winter to do pretty much whatever I want! Since I planned my students’ essay assignments so I wouldn’t have a ton of papers to grade this weekend, now I’m free to enjoy whatever activity comes my way. I’m like a ship that’s broken free from the fleet – on my own and cruising with the currents and the winds. Yesterday I drifted along in an indolent, lighthearted way. I graded some lovely essays by 9th graders (just a few), which turned out to be a thoroughly peaceful experience. I also had a productive, encouraging workout at the gym, breathing lightly and feeling strong all the way through. Today I plan to do some reading in Dickens’ Dombey and Son, grade a few more papers, perhaps take a long walk in the park, give consideration to my plans for next week’s classes, and, when all’s said and done, enjoy the passage of the hours. It’s a good life, especially when you have four days to do whatever seems pleasing at the moment. I’m sure I’ll be adequately entertained these next three days.

No comments:

Post a Comment