Sunday, February 19, 2006

Journal: Sunday, February 19, 2006

I am thoroughly enjoying Dickens’ Dombey and Son. I’m reading just a few pages each day, much the way Dickens’ readers in London read it when it first came out in weekly installments. The characters, as is usually the case with his novels, are vivid, fascinating, and – some of them – quite loveable. I am particularly drawn to the good Captain Cuttle and his unselfish young friend, Walter Gay (whom the Captain calls “Wal’r”). Yesterday I read for about thirty minutes, and became worried about the fate of Walter, who is being sent to the West Indies by the hard-hearted Mr. Dombey. He leaves behind his uncle, the cheerful but needy Solomon Gills, and also a budding romance with Florence Dombey. I’m hoping that Mr. Dombey will relent and keep Walter in the home office. (Surely Dickens won’t send him so far away!)
* * * *
It’s a frigid Sunday morning – 11 degrees! I’m heading up the highway in my warm car to visit with Luke, Krissy, Jaimie, Jess, and little Noah. I’ll take some inspiring spiritual tapes with me to keep me cozy as I drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment