Saturday, February 25, 2006

Journal: Saturday, February 25, 2006

A windy cold front blew across southern New England yesterday. At school, doors were whipping open and people were blowing down the walkway all day. I could hear the cold wind whistling around the windows as I went about my teaching. I felt immense gratitude to be working in a cozy classroom, complete with a small space heater humming in the corner by my desk.
* * * *
I’m making my way through Dickens’ Dombey and Son. Earlier this week, I read the poignant chapters in which little Paul dies. It’s some of the best Dickens writing I’ve ever read – the clarity of the descriptions, the depth of the emotions revealed, and the utter gracefulness of the sentences. It’s the kind of book that needs to be not just read, but cherished. As I would if I were in the presence of a great friend, I need to enjoy its company.
* * * *
I worked out at the gym yesterday afternoon, pumping fairly hard on the bike for 25 minutes. I don’t feel nearly as strong as I do in the summer months, but yesterday I got through the workout in pretty good shape. I was breathing heavily as I left, but I felt like my body was growing stronger. I felt a little fresher, a little bouncier, than I did on Thursday after my workout. Little by little, one step at a time, I’m working my way toward spring when I can take to the roads on my bike.

No comments:

Post a Comment