Friday, February 24, 2006

Meditation: "The Old Mistake"

This morning I made a mistake I’ve been making off and on for most of my life. As soon as I was out of bed, I began thinking about how I could make myself into a very spiritual person so that I could have a rewarding spiritual day. It was all about “me”, as though I – and here’s the mistake – was a separate, physical person who could “make” himself into whatever he wanted. I was acting no differently than if I was baseball player deciding to practice hitting fastballs today so I could raise my batting average. The problem was that I was attempting to live a spiritual life by thinking of myself as a material person in a material world. In a spiritual universe, there are no separate individual entities that have to struggle to reach some goal. There is only the one infinite spiritual reality (often called God), and this reality, or force, is constantly at work creating its own harmonious universe, no matter what "I" appear to be doing. What I forgot this morning is that a distinct, material person called "Hamilton Salsich" doesn't have to exert any energy or control in order for this day to be a perfectly balanced day. It already is a perfect day, and always will be. In fact, there is, in reality, no distinct, material person called "Hamilton Salsich". There is only the grand and faultless spiritual universe (in Latin, "un" = one), of which "I" am an important and inextricable part. I don't need to try to live a spiritual life today, because the spiritual life is all there is.

No comments:

Post a Comment