Thursday, March 2, 2006

Journal: Tuesday, March 2, 2006

There was much tension in the air at school yesterday. The 8th graders, for one thing, were either scurrying around like nervous ants or gliding along like senseless robots as they looked ahead to their dreaded “assessments” tomorrow. These lengthy oral presentations designed to evaluate whether the kids are ready for high school have a fearful reputation around school. Yesterday I could feel the fear in the air. The kids acted like a powerful enemy was waiting to do battle with them tomorrow. There was also tension in the morning as we all awaited the departure of the 9th grade on their ten-day trip to France. Of course, the 9th graders themselves were the most anxious of all, but they masked their worries by “acting out” in crazy ways. Although I tried my best to conduct an English class an hour before their departure at noon, about all we did was laugh and tell stories. Their nervous energy just wouldn’t allow them to focus on anything remotely serious. Finally, I was jittery all day, in a wonderful way, as I thought about the beautiful fact that March is here. It’s one of my favorite months, containing, as it does, the birthday of my twin sons, the first hints of spring, and the beginning of poetry season in my English classes. I was somewhat giddy all day as I thought about it. I guess, in fact, it was a somewhat giddy day, all in all, and a very happy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment