Wednesday, March 1, 2006

Meditation: "It's All about Power"

I was feeling discouraged yesterday, plagued by my usual fears and anxieties, when a wonderful old truth reappeared and settled me down. Just after the students had left for the day, it came to me with utter clarity that the only important thing in life is power, and that all the power in the universe is mental and exists in the present moment. I saw that no matter how thoroughly I search, I will never find any power that exists outside of a thought that’s occurring right now. It may seem as though power exists in a zillion different material forces, but the actual truth is that it always unfolds in an idea or belief in the present. This was a wonderful realization, because there is nothing in our lives more important than power. We spend most of our waking moments trying either to gain positive power or to defend against negative power. It makes sense, then, that if we can acquire a sure understanding of the nature of power, we should be very close to complete contentment and happiness. As I stood in my classroom yesterday afternoon, pondering these ideas, I realized that I was feeling entirely calm and self-assured. The anxieties were gone. I had no fears, either for myself or for my fellow human beings. I understood, once again, the only essential truth – that power, all of it, would always be right where everyone needs it, in thought in the present moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment