Friday, March 24, 2006

SPRING BREAK Journal: Friday, March 24, 2006

I continued my long string of rewarding days yesterday. (Let’s see...I guess that makes it something like 33,000 consecutive ones, ever since 1941.) In the morning at school, I worked hard to put together the bulletin board display for the annual April poetry tournament. As I like to do, I took my time with it, carefully drawing the brackets and lettering the words. While I worked, I listened to an inspiring audio lecture by Alan Watts, one of my favorite spiritual writers from the 60’s and 70’3, and his words somehow made my poetry display seem perfectly dazzling. I was proud of my morning’s work. After lunch, I walked in the park and listened to more of the Watts lecture. Because he put so many of the ideas I’ve been pondering lately into such straightforward and clear sentences, my brief walk turned into an enlightening educational experience. I’m sure I smiled, laughed, even gave short shouts of approval as I strolled along the paths with my headphones on. The most rewarding part of the day came as night was falling, when Matt and I had a good talk about teaching. The light of the lamps gave a mellow glow to the room as we talked about problems and possibilities in our work. I felt truly honored and blessed to hear my son speak of the love he has for this profession that he has chosen, and which I chose over 40 years ago. As I sat and listened to him in the cheerful living room, I felt, at that moment, the utter perfection of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment