Thursday, March 23, 2006

SPRING BREAK Journal: Thursday, March 23, 2006

Yesterday I was an especially proud father and grandfather. First, I sat in on one of my son’s 8th grade English classes, and was totally impressed. Jaimie teaches in a public school in a low-income community, but his students acted like refined and sophisticated prep school kids. They entered his room respectfully, greeted me cordially, and behaved like serious students throughout the class. What impressed me most was Jaimie’s gentle and respectful demeanor throughout the class. He taught them as though he genuinely liked them (which he does) and loved being there in the classroom with them (which he does). I could easily tell that his students appreciated his gracious attitude toward them. It occurred to me that his class may be a haven of respect and reassurance in their often tumultuous lives. After his class, we drove back to Jaimie’s house, where I spent a few hours being a proud grandfather. Little Noah was his usual brilliant, kind person. He followed complicated story lines as I read books to him; he pointed out and explained several intriguing sights as we wandered around outside; and he often said things to me that could only come from the kindest of hearts. I realized, as I drove back down the country roads toward home, that I am the luckiest of men.

No comments:

Post a Comment