Monday, March 13, 2006

SPRING BREAK Journal: March 12, 2006

Yesterday I had a wonderful visit with some dear friends in Cambridge. It was a balmy, sunny day -- an early taste of springtime -- and we three enjoyed our visit as if the lovely day was made just for us. I don't think I've talked so much over a period of six hours ever in my life. It was non-stop conversing of the highest and most gracious kind. I hadn't paid a visit to their Cambridge home since they moved some four years ago, and I was delighted to finally be there. They have a cozy and elegant brick home on a quiet street, and we spent most of the day sitting in the charming kitchen, just passing the time in pleasant talk. Linda prepared a tasty lunch (baked lemon chicken and a prize-winning salad), and we enjoyed smooth red wine as we ate. Later, Linda and I (Peter had to stay home doing taxes) took a walk in the mild air down to a used clothing store, where I bought, for $16.00, a beautiful beige cashmere sport coat. (We laughed, coming back, about the tattoo on the girl who waited on us: a large face of an owl stared out from her chest just above her breasts.) We also strolled the other way to a used bookstore, which, as I told Linda, looked like every used bookstore I've been in for the last forty years. As we walked back to the house in the fading sunlight, I felt lucky to be there on that spring-like street with my good friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment