Monday, March 13, 2006

SPRING BREAK Journal: Monday, March 13, 2006

A balmy stretch of weather is lingering along the New England coast during the first few days of my spring vacation, and I am enjoying it immensely. Today, for instance, as I write this at the computer at 1:29 p.m., I have the kitchen window open and the undisturbed sounds of the outside world are flowing in: a passing car, someone hammering somewhere (spring repairs, perhaps), some birds whistling in the distance. It brings back memories of so many mild March days in the past, days when you finally felt that winter was wasting away. I’m typing with the old sense of urgency that I always feel when I know the earth is awakening again. Yesterday I spent most of the day indoors (it was raining off and on), but even inside I could sense the presence of the easygoing air outside. When I went out for errands a few times, the feel of the temperate breezes was medicine of the best kind. I think I made a few silly excuses just to get myself outside as often as possible, even in the rain. Later today, I plan to go down to the park with my iPod and a book, and sit on a bench for some listening and reading. Since I’m working through Jane Eyre now (in preparation for my trip to England this summer), I purchased a delightful audio tape of the book, and I’m looking forward to listening, in the park, to the accomplished reader as she unfolds the wonderful story. If I’m fortunate, I’ll be listening to a part of the story that takes place on an agreeable pre-spring day, such as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment