Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Journal: Wednesday, May 17, 2006

I saw three lovely sights yesterday. First, as I sat in the library at school around 7:00 a.m., doing some spiritual reading and listening to music on my iPod, I noticed some gulls out on the playing field. It was a damp, gray morning, and somehow the whiteness of the birds seemed brighter than usual. As I watched, one of the birds lifted itself lightly up and swung across the air and soared up into the still dark sky. Later in the morning, as I walked outside on my way to morning meeting, I stopped to look at some big leaves in the garden all covered with sparkling dewdrops. I stood there for perhaps thirty seconds (a long time in this hurrying world), admiring the simple exquisiteness of the wet leaves. Kids and teachers were hustling past on their way to the meeting, but I felt enclosed in a small peaceful space as I studied the look of the gleaming beads of moisture. Finally, during my daily walk in the park, I saw a grand sight – the sun flashing its afternoon colors intermittently as the clouds temporarily disbanded. After days and days of rain, it was a splendid sight to see the sunlight turning some of the town perfectly golden. At one point, I noticed an old brick building, which most people would probably call ugly, absolutely glowing in the fresh light.

No comments:

Post a Comment