Tuesday, October 15, 2013

LAZY DAY


     I know my hard-working, un-retired friends may find this annoying, but I have to say it anyway: I had the laziest of days today. When I was teaching I loved my work, and today I loved my idleness. I was positively work-shy. I lolled, loafed, and loitered through most of the day. I had tons of time on my hands, and I happily killed it all. I was a totally shiftless dude, as though I was riding in a slow-moving, old-fashioned, going-nowhere horse-drawn buggy. I was completely remiss in my duties to the dishes and the dusting rag. I basically bummed around from breakfast on, lollygagging and twiddling my thumbs. I was slack, lax, and lackadaisical – just taking a break after 45 years of teaching. I don’t intend to fritter away all my senior days, but I’m as old as the hills, and today I was pleased to be as idle and undisturbed as the oldest.
     To my un-retired friends: Hang in there. If you’re lucky enough to love your work, you’ll surely love your indolent elderly days.  

No comments:

Post a Comment